Do you read your Bible in the morning and then walk away from it unchanged? Add these five things to your devotions to transform your time with the Lord.
1. A pen. If you aren't taking notes, how can you hope to remember what God is teaching you? Write down special verses that the Lord ministered to your heart. Take notes each day on what you learn.
2. Paper. I don't mean the back of a grocery receipt or random sticky notes. Have a journal or some other official devotional notebook for keeping track of the things you learn. Write out your prayers. Write down your burdens. Write down your blessings. Read back through your devotional notes periodically to see how the Lord has led you on your journey of spiritual growth.
3. A place. Preferably a quiet place where you can be alone. I like the kitchen table or my desk. My husband prefers his desk. My daughter reads in her room. My son goes to the table in front of our house. I have a guest who stays with us sometimes who carries a chair outside to the back of our house. When we travel and our whole family is sleeping in one hotel room, my husband or I will often hole up in the bathroom to read. Really, anything works, as long as you can focus on the one needful thing: spending time with the Lord without distraction.
4. A plan. You can randomly open your Bible to read and still be blessed--that is the glory of the Word of God. But you will find yourself learning much more if you have a plan for how to read your Bible and what to read each day. This could be a one-year plan or a two-year plan or a one-year Bible. It could be a check-off sheet or even a simple three-chapters-a-day method. Pick a plan and stick to it for a year or two. See what a difference it makes!
5. A secret weapon. My secret weapon is coffee. Some people prefer juice or a morning jog to keep them awake while reading. Maybe you don't need one of these. . . this one is optional. But if you frequently find yourself dozing off, try using a secret weapon to keep yourself alert and learning.
Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly this year!
Tim and Laura
Timothy and Laura Berrey are missionaries with Gospel Fellowship Association. They share a passion for missions which has taken them to several countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe. They currently minister in the Philippines.
Want articles like this delivered to your inbox?
We send out occasional updates about recently published articles and books. To receive these updates, please subscribe to our newsletter.