What can we do to focus our mind and heart on the Word of God?
Five Ways to Maintain Focus During Your Devotional Time
Ask God to help you focus on His Word and His still, small voice.
2. Remember, spending time at the feet of Jesus is the "one needful thing" in your day (Luke 10:42).
All those other distractions will simply crowd out the most important part of your day. Don't let them.
3. Remove as many distractions as possible before you start.
How? Analyze these areas:
- Time. Can you meet with God early in the morning before other tasks crowd into your mind?
- People. Where can you go to be alone?
- Things. Monitor where you meet with God. What things are visible that will distract you?
- Sounds. Can you meet with God in a quiet location? Soft music playing may help you, but it also may distract you.
4. As distracting thoughts come to your mind, write them down.
Then focus on your devotions again. Sometimes it is the fear of forgetting something important that is so distracting. Writing those things down leaves your mind free to focus once again.
5. If your thoughts continue to stray, try singing a hymn of worship to refocus your mind.
Music has a way of helping us to refocus.
Mark 1:35 tells us that Jesus went out alone into a deserted place early in the morning to pray. He planned to be focused.
What can you do tomorrow to maintain your focus during your devotional time?
Five Ways to Shine the Light of Scripture on Your Pathway