1. Absolute, riveting, soul-wrenching love.
Children are so precious. They are a gift from the Lord.
We love that little one before he or she even makes their grand entrance.
But they can scare us to death by the sheer enormity of the task of keeping them alive.
And then, to make it worse, we have to TRAIN them.
It would be different if they came with an instruction manual.
Well, guess what?
The Word of God.
No, the Bible doesn't give us all the specific answers to those oodles of debated questions like:
- To vaccinate or not to vaccinate? (The real question is, "Where am I putting my faith?")
- To schedule or to feed on demand? (God leads people differently. Learn from both sides and then ask Him what you should do.)
- Home school? Christian school? Public school? (Pray. Pray. Pray.)
If you think parenting has cookie-cutter answers, think again. But God has given us His Word and He expects us to:
- Know it.
- Search it.
- Find out His will and do it.
Unfortunately, people don't.
But we can and should.
Because when it comes to parenting, there are several things the Word of God has told us to do.
We are commanded to bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4)
We are encouraged to inspire unfeigned faith by our own example. (II Timothy 1:5)
We are reminded that our mission is to teach them the Word of God, which is able to:
- make them wise unto salvation through faith in Christ (II Timothy 3:15)
- cleanse their way (Psalm 119:9)
- give light to their path (Psalm 119:105)
God will give grace and wisdom for the task before us.
So live with that mission!